About Hair Loss

What is Hair Loss?

If hair loss was a serious illness then more than fifty percent of men and women in the United States would be in trouble. But hair loss is serious business to the men and women who are suffering through the loss of some or most of their hair. It affects the way they feel about themselves and how they go about their daily life.

Hair Growth Cycle

The normal cycle of hair growth lasts for approximately two to six years. Individual hairs grow less than half an inch per month during this period. About 90 percent of the hair on your scalp is growing at any one time. That leaves 10 percent of your hair in a resting period. After two or three months your resting hair begins to fall out and new hair starts to grow in its place

Types of Hair Loss

There are four main types of hair loss.

  • Androgenic alopecia – This is the most ordinary type of hair loss; it is also referred to as male pattern baldness
  • Traumatic alopecia – This is known as hair loss by being torn out. It is not as common.
  • Drug-induced alopecia – Different types of medications can cause hair loss
  • Alopecia areata – This hair loss usually results in patches of hair being lost and it can be stopped, with hair growing back again.

 Other things that contribute to hair loss are poor nutrition and an abundance of stress, which could be caused by your lifestyle or because of a serious illness. Some chemicals can also trigger hair loss.

Hair Loss Treatments

Hair loss treatments have become a booming business over the last few decades. You see commercials on the television, ads on the internet and in magazines, billboards – you name it and you'll probably find hair loss treatments promising remarkable results.

Treatments vary from simple grooming techniques to hide bald spots, to medications to surgery. It depends on the person and how determined they are to get their hair back. You should take note that not all hair treatments work. Some people resort to hair pieces or wigs, but if they are not professionally fitted they can border on the ridiculous. Speak with your doctor before spending a ton of money on hair loss treatments. Consider Provillus, which uses the FDA-approved Minoxidil in its highly potent formula.  Read our Provillus review.

Hair loss products reviewed

We reviewed and analyzed hundreds of products. Here are the results.

Top 5 steps to treat hair loss

Fast and easy tips to help you stop hair loss before it gets worse!

How severe is your hair loss?

Is your hair loss mild, moderate or severe? Take the quiz.